PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 25th Apr 2022, 14:55
Uplinker

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Uplinker, that's all well and good but you said on the previous page:

Exactly who's fault is it then, being able to be startled? You're quite happy to bash the pilots, when in fact it's got little to do with them. It's the system that has made them. Or are you suggesting that if you get startled by a no-notice go-around need then you should be sacked?
No no; look, I am not 'happy' to 'bash' anyone I am trying to understand what is going on in aviation. Have you ever been startled, i.e. frightened into inaction, for something as simple and routine as a go-around? Here was a pilot so frozen that he gripped the yoke and held the PTT switch open for 20s and could be heard breathing heavily. And vilas tells us of another crew faced with a Windshear memory drill who did nothing for 2 minutes. And another pilot held full back-stick at FL 390 for an extended period and fatally stalled the aircraft.

I think pilots can be surprised but surely they should be able to swing into action; not be startled, frozen and scared - aren't we all selected and tested for our ability to be calm and know what to do in an emergency?
Maybe not any more. Are you really comfortable that some airliners are being piloted by apparently undertrained or poorly selected pilots, who cannot handle even a go-around : something every pilot should be expecting in the back of their mind all the way down the approach?

Better selection and training?