PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 21st Apr 2022, 12:35
Chiefttp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Yes, the startle effect is real - amongst the average human being. However, pilots should not suffer it, or should be trained out of it; That is part of what it is to be a pilot - you are not startled by events, but revert to a pre-programmed and pre-practised response to things that don't go according to plan. Isn't that what we practise and are selected and paid for ?
Uplinker,
I understand your sentiment. What I mean by “startle effect” isn’t a hysterical reaction to a situation, Instead, it’s when an event occurs outside of its “normal” or expected flight regime. For example, a go-around occurring at 1500 AGL as opposed to at decision Altitude where most pilots are expecting and thinking about executing a go-around. I’ve had two “aborted or discontinued approaches” which resulted in a go-around in the last few months. In both instances the F/O was flying. In both instances, the request by ATC took us by surprise and the go-around was not your typical scenario and some confusion ensued. In Seattle, flying into Boeing Field KBFI, you actually have to DESCEND while executing a “missed approach” or aborted approach due to crossing traffic ABOVE you approaching Sea-Tac Intl. Send 100 crews into a sim and give them that scenario and you’ll see many examples of “startled” crews.