PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2022, 13:29
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rolladyce
One that may have escaped a few is the announcement that the Managing Director, Chris Harcombe, is to leave DSA.

He has been the spine of DSA for 16-years from route development roles to eventually the MD.

Interesting to see who gets internally promoted into that seat from the team.
I had thought that Doncaster had already lost a manager , ' Steve Gill' to Bournemouth Airport , perhaps during the lockdown, a Google search showed he was responsible for running DSA.
But felt to have been a big loss, under him , we gained the Flybe base .
Let us hope that the next manager , is more pro active, in terms of attracting new passenger routes , and further development of the terminal , as it seems that the airport has been stuck in a rut.

For some time , prior to the obvious issues caused by the pandemic and the failure of Flybe, .
While I do understand, that the whole industry is going through changes , an example of what can be done at and did seem vastly unlikely is the impressive turnaround of ' Teeside Airport', which does not have the vast industrial estate, or the ' iport'* ,Motorway links , and potential for a future , Mainline rail link , and potential station , plus the sheer amount of space for expansion.

Doncaster has proved that new business is out there by the hugely impressive work by the Cargo team, and provides for enthusiasts, some Interesting movements to see.

But perhaps the next management team, need to have the drive , that has seen Ryanair at Teeside as I have mentioned.
I use that as an example, because, like DSA Teeside is close to a larger airport with multiple low cost carriers . So to gain such routes is no small achievement .

Therefore one would hope we can see such efforts at DSA, I understand that the terminal is undergoing expansion works , and as a question, raised on another forum , about expanding Apron space , for the future , Wizzair routes etc.
All of which would be the work of the next managment team.

Finally with the refusal to allow Leeds Bradford it's new terminal , then. Perhaps there is real scope for Doncaster to grow, because it would only take one or two carriers to dip a ' toe' into DSA to finally see some much needed progress .
Not just for the airport but the jobs that would be created locally by the support industries used by the airport for any route or service .