PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL Boeing 757/200 emergency in Costa Rica...
Old 10th Apr 2022, 17:59
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by offa
Reverser not deployed on #1 (i.e. FWD thrust) due loss of hydraulic #1 and (sounds like) lots of reverse on #2 would make it near impossible to maintain directional control much below 100 kts as rudder effect is lost.
If it’s at all like any other Boeing I’ve flown, that is unlikely, especially on a dry runway. You can dispatch with one TR U/S and following an engine failure you would only have one anyway. That means every landing with a TR U/S or RTO due EF would leave the paved surface, which doesn’t happen. The only time I’ve seen directional control compromised was a low speed abort on a contaminated runway, and that was due to one engine being at full thrust and the other failed; once the power was brought back on the live engine it was controllable again.

I don’t know what happened here but it does look like a more complex issue than a simple loss of one hydraulic system. I have operated to MROC and generally briefed that Liberia can be an option if it isn’t a time-critical emergency, as it’s at sea level and you should be able to land into-wind, rather than doing a dodgy approach or accepting a limiting tailwind if you don’t have RNAV auth for MROC. I’m sure the DHL guys would be aware of that, so something caught them by surprise, I guess...