PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR DME Approach
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2022, 10:16
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll go back to my original comments:

Firstly, I think the original AIP plate has been poorly/incorrectly drawn because all of the approach fixes are designated by DME, so if you can identify the step down fix at 3.8D, it is also available at 2.8D and even at the missed approach point at 1.0D; there is no need for MDAs for some of the SDFs because absolutely everyone is going to continue the approach to 2.8D! It can't be argued that you could brief different MDAs depending on where on the approach the DME fails because DME is required for the approach therefore, if the DME fails you have to go around unless visual.

Secondly, the AIP plate does not mention CDFA which is absolutely correct - CDFA is an operational consideration and the operator is required to calculate a 'derived DA(H) from the OCA(H) at which their pilots will commence a go-around if not visual, this will prevent the aircraft from descending below the OCA during the go-around. Jeppesen seem to insist on mentioning CDFA on 2-D approaches thus leaving a trail of confusion across the World.

I'm not a fixed wing pilot (well I did have a CPL(A) IR once!) but I'm well aware that CDFA is absolutely sensible (and generally mandated) for large/fast commercial fixed wing aircraft and probably smaller fixed wing as well; in the helicopter world, I strongly believe that the second PANS-OPS option 2, which is a constant angle descent but maintaining MDA to the missed approach point, is the better option. That doesn't really matter but that CDFA statement on the Jeppesen plate makes so many helicopter pilots think that they must fly a CDFA because the plate says so.

I suspect the following paragraph from PANS-OPS Vol II may be the reason the procedure designer added the extra minima but really it just produces an excess of confusion in this case.

2.7.3.2 The use of the stepdown fix in the final approach segment shall be limited to aircraft capable of
simultaneous reception of the flight track and a crossing indication unless otherwise specified. Where a stepdown fix is
used in the final approach segment, an OCA/H shall be specified both with and without the stepdown fix. Where a
stepdown fix is used in the final approach segment of an RNP procedure, OCA/H is specified only for the case with
stepdown fix.

Cheers
TeeS