PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft on an RN carrier deck
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2022, 16:10
76fan

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Liffy 1M
How about this?
Firefly at LHR 1973
The link says:- "Mar03, 1973 - Fairey Firefly Takes Off From Heathrow: Saved from the scrap heap by Royal Navy officers who bought it seven years ago, this Fairey Firefly Mk 5 was about to take off yesterday for the Royal Navy Air Station, Yeovilton, Somerset, from the former Great Western Airfield - now known as Heathrow Airport and more familiar to such giants as Jumbo jets."

The serial number appears to end 271. I have attached photographs of an Australian Firefly bought by donations from the officers of HMS Victorious on a visit to Sydney in late October/November 1966 and craned onboard Victorious at RAN Garden Island.

The purchase was organized by Lt.Cdr Mike Apps, then commanding officer of 814 Squadron (Wessex HAS 1 helicopters), who I believe was an ex Firefly Observer. It is difficult to read the serial number but it looks like 279(?). The Firefly was onboard when we sailed and was probably offloaded either in Fremantle or Singapore. Is this just a coincidence or was this the same aircraft.

p.s. Ten bobs worth of it was mine!