PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Q400 Crew Forget Landing Gear
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2022, 06:28
Mach E Avelli

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Roj approved
Actually at my company, they have removed the "After T/O Climb Checklist". it is now just a PM scan.
...and probably more safe because of it. Checklists are no insurance and in fact, if overdone, an embuggerance.
Back in my days as a trainer I would notice some pilots rattling off checklist responses without really checking. To confirm my suspicion, I would challenge with the before landing checklist at the after take-off stage, or before take-off checklist on final approach. Plenty of suckers would give responses to the checklist being read, not the one actually executed - to earn themselves a tick in the 'below average' box for 'situational awareness' on the training form for the day.

A very long time ago I did a Type Rating on the MU2 with a European operator. This is a complex aeroplane and was being flown single pilot in a demanding environment. Their checklist policy was to use it up until engine start, then again after shutdown. Everything in between was done by methodical scanning, the philosophy being that head-down reading to one-self was not as effective as keeping eyes and ears open, minding the store.