PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian pilot desperate to leave
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2022, 23:35
axiom87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
axiom87,The tier below the Big Six may be a somewhat different story ( and the regionals are a very different story). And some of those may be a decent place to go long term.

Are you still sure you want to cut bait from your nation's flag carrier ? That's a bold move.

Thanks for your input bafanguy.

I agree, the big Six aren’t quite desperate yet and perhaps won’t be a long time, if ever. Out of my control I suppose. I’ll try to work with what I have and hope for the best.

While it sounds good to work for my national carrier (and it is), there is a lot left to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, if I have to live out the rest of my career at AC, that’ll be OK. However, if any of the Big Six start hiring from Canada, I won’t be surprised if 25% of our pilots leave.

Air Canada being the only legacy carrier and airline of its size in the country has resulted in it having a competitive advantage over its employees.

We are the lowest paid legacy pilots in the world. As a Year 5 787 FO, I’ll take home a base salary of $USD 110-120K.

Year 1-4 are even more absurd (approximate values below). These are the same regardless of machine you fly. The only raise is if you upgrade.

Year 1: $USD 50K

Year 2: $USD 55K

Year 3: $USD 60K

Year 4: $USD 65K

Our 10 year contract is laughable compared to the Big Six and many of the lower tiers/regionals. Our only hope is that contract negotiations next year bring us somewhat back to parity, but it’s doubtful because of how arbitration and government involvement is.

altiplano has summarized it well here, of how we were decimated in arbitration in 2011: (search for air canada pay scales on Airline Pilot Forums - Foreign)

Adding to the low salaries, we are some of the highest taxed citizens in the world. Any pay over $USD90K is taxed at 40%. Hit $USD160K? Taxed at 54% now.

With what is left, sales tax in Toronto, Ontario is 13%.

Home prices and rents have skyrocketed all over, most doubling over the last few years.

Gas and groceries have risen, although not at the same rate.

With the way our government has spent during the pandemic, we are in for a bad economic ride. I understand the entire world has spent as well, but we don’t have the economic strength to support the exuberance of spending. (This same government implemented harsh pandemic travel policies, without any consideration or assistance for the aviation industry)

Did I mention we have freezing temperatures 4-6 months of the year, if we’re lucky? Longer usually.

Bottom line: Taking in all the factors above, with 25-30 years left in my career, I can easily double or triple my income and work in better conditions by moving somewhere else. Even if not the majors.

I won’t leave until I have a CJO, but I won’t hesitate if and when the opportunity arises.

Last edited by axiom87; 5th Apr 2022 at 05:57.