PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision involving Piper PA-44-180 Seminole, VH-JQF, and Beech D95A Travel A
Old 1st Apr 2022, 04:59
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
A serious question, Capn.

You said you want Australia to “mandate transponders in MBZs (yes, renamed from CTAF Rs)”. I'm genuinely trying to understand exactly what you mean.

I’m looking at GEN 2.2 Definitions and Abbreviations in the current Australian AIP Book, and neither CTAF R nor MBZ appears. I think CTAF R was ditched years ago, when the concept of “certified” versus “uncertified” (and registered and unregistered) aerodromes came into vogue. Before that there was the concept of MTAF and before that MBZ … I think … it could have been the other way around. But in any event CTAFs - ‘R’s or otherwise - are frequencies for use if an ‘in vicinity’ broadcast obligation arises but an MBZ is a zone within which specific broadcasts are mandatory. Also, someone invented ‘Broadcast Areas’ and, for Ballina, a SFIS within its BA. And someone resurrected an AFIZ at YPPD. (Rhetorical question: Is it any wonder that people out there are confused and here on pprune it’s difficult to have a sensible conversation?)

When you call for a mandate of transponders in “MBZs renamed from CTAF Rs”, what do you mean? Can you use the current language of the current rules, or just plain English, to explain.

For example, are you calling for transponders for all aircraft within a specified radius of and height above each aerodrome in G used by e.g. RPT aircraft, and specific mandated broadcasts by all aircraft within that zone? If yes, please specify the radius and height and aircraft operation parameters, and the specific content of and position at or circumstance in which each mandated call would be made.

I want to make sure I understand what you want. I'm not going to bag you - as if you'd care - for what you want (or anyone else for what they want). But if I reckon it won't achieve the outcome you think it will achieve, I will say so and try to explain why I have that opinion. Free country and all that...