PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2022, 11:19
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
No my concern was more the attitude of the said pilot on the day, the threat to my team as we backtracked was the demanding and rushed nature of the RAus pilot, someone continuing approach with clear zero chance of myself getting near Bravo let alone A. My FO said it’s like he was trying to pressure us to get off, and seemed inexperienced around heavy machinery. My FO also raised that should we try to exit at Bravo, a risk the RAus pilot could ‘wing it’ and continue approach assuming we will exit in time, while my tail isn’t clear yet, as we had other risks going on in the backdrop like a Virgin 73 about to push. I advised the pilot we would not make a taxiway in time for his arrival, trying to hint that we can’t move as fast as a 172 who can vacate quick. We are big, slow and heavy, I’m not rushing off the runway then answering to the training department why we then misjudged a exit with a wheel in the grass. Seen enough pilots do that.

Quite simply extend downwind, slow down if you have something of size ahead of you. That’s what they taught me 30 years ago. Then if you have a engine out problem on final you don’t have to worry about me trying to get out of the way, and me worrying about you hitting me. That was something the bodies did answer to me about, the need for local operators to brief around circuit procedures/decision making around extending the circuit etc, if someone slow/heavy etc is ahead. I thought that was taught at PPL level?

Or just build a bloody taxiway the length of the runway. Should be a minimum these days.

Last edited by PoppaJo; 30th Mar 2022 at 11:50.