PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats in a title
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2022, 02:01
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by triadic
It's a culture change!

Sometime over the past 30 or so years the use of "Captain" has been changed by those that see it somewhat differently to those that are older. This seems to be a sign of the times? Not one that I support. As an example, my father was a Master Mariner (A ship's Captain) and he was always addressed as Captain, even when he moved to a shore position with the same company and later as a Marine Surveyor. His ship was sunk by the Germans in WWII, and he spent 4 yrs in a POW camp in Germany. All of the correspondence that I have seen (and still have) the mail was addressed to "Captain”, and he even had "Capt" prefix in the white pages (you remember them?)

Somewhere along the line the use of the title and other similar ones has been changed by those that don't seem to respect what it really means. Of course, there is a time and place for its use and perhaps the change has come about because of, shall I say "inappropriate" use (as described in previous posts) - maybe the later generations just don't understand or have not been in the classroom when it was discussed?

When I was flying as PIC, my company always used the prefix of Captain, even on boarding passes when deadheading. It was the way it was. Nevertheless when used appropriately, it should be respected.
No I disagree.

Once upon a time the title “Captain” was so feared he was never questioned, to the point it was preferable to fly into the side of a mountain than disobey his orders.

Nowadays the safety culture has changed, but there is still an elitist arrogance with using the prefix of “Captain” outside of work, or demanding to be only addressed by that title in any circumstance.

Coach and train drivers have, at times, more lives in their hands than airline pilots yet they don’t seem to go around feeling the need to refer to themselves by their job title outside of work.

Would it hurt anyone if their boarding pass didn’t have the prefix of “Captain”? Are you suddenly going to forget how to do your job?

Although I still see some remnants of that culture I’m confident these quasi military elements are going to be expunged within time from civilian airlines, as they are totally unnecessary and if you go around referring to yourself as “Captain” in general communication, the only thing you’ll achieve nowadays is get yourself labelled as a word rhyming with “banker”.