PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 3.1
Thread: Virgin 3.1
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2022, 05:55
No Idea Either

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Icarus

We have a ‘group date of join’ list (GDOJ) rather than a seniority list, but every one just calls it the seniority list. It is not a strict list but is the overriding factor taken into account for upgrades, transfers, change of type, etc. So if you’ve kept your nose clean then as opportunities arise it goes in the GDOJ order. Virgin, PAC BRO, VARA and Tiger were all on the same GDOJ list (pretty much in that order with some minor variations) when some of the pilot groups were made redundant. So if you’re on the list then you have the right to return in order of GDOJ, at your previous GDOJ position. All the redundant pilots still have access to Sabre and can put in bids for return. When positions become available, whether it’s a CMD or FO slot, then if you’ve bid for it and you’re next on the GDOJ list then it’s yours. Some pilots who have found other work have not put in bids yet. Some previous wide body skippers have opted for FO slots on the 73 just to get back in as the ‘right of return’ only lasts 5 years. After the five year period, for an additional two years (seven total) you will be accepted for a position as they come up but you do not get your original GDOJ recognised and you start on the bottom of pile. If it was me, I would be taking anything to get back in………just in case it slows down, doesn’t look like it will but you never know.

so in answer to your query, yes all the people who have found other work still appear on the list although many might not have an active bid to return in yet, for whatever reason. The only reason you drop off the list is if you officially resign but I don’t think anyone would be mad enough to do that until the ‘deed of return’ expires, just to keep the chance of the return up their sleeves. It will become a bit more strategic as time goes by as the music could stop again for whatever reason and some people could be left out, but that would be their choice I suppose.

hope that explains a bit.