PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OpSec issues from Ukraine War
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2022, 21:26
cynicalint

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
My post was in response to the OP who was having a go at "spotters" posting info and opinions. Whilst I still maintain that most Opsec was in fact rubbish, and designed to conceal embarrassment and wrong doing in high places, so much so that it seemed to glory in hiding information from the public and press that was known, or sometimes even provided, to the likes of the Soviets. Opsec clearly has its place, but not in the clumsy hamfisted way it was applied in my day, and in 2022 needs to recognise the reality of the modern world with social media and instant communication, and an informed and sophisticated public who will no longer tolerate secrecy for secrecy sake.
Pr00ne, I see and understand your position. I agree fully that hiding information for purely political reasons is entirely wrong, Not concealing wrong doing and embarrassment in high places is something where we are in violent agreement . I fully agree with not tolerating secrecy for secrecy's sake and not covering up corruption or incompetence. My point, all along, is to highlight the folly of giving open source material veracity and credence by using it in a discussion on a site like this, to show superior knowledge or as has been alluded to before "I knew this before you".