PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Airways-3
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2022, 16:21
Atlantic Explorer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by commit aviation
Looking at what remains of the Eastern operation, I am not so sure they will see it as the end of their world.
I reckon they have 11 aircraft now serviceable: 8 J41s, 2 ATRs & 1 E190.
One ATR is on the NQY PSO route so presumably will survive. The other is covering the SOU programme - maybe some risk there but currently the summer schedule appears to need two ATRs so a J41 will continue operating if there are no cutbacks.
The J41s fly out of ABZ to WIC (PSO) LSI (oil contract) NCL & HUY. Not routes that would be high on anyone's target list I would have thought and as the J41s cost little to operate will likely continue until they can't be cost effectively maintained.
CWL - BHD likely goes - may depend on the fate of the VLY PSO route (is that still a thing?)
I guess the E190 will be kept occupied with charter work and deputising for the odd schedule or maybe NQY in the peak season if the extra uplift is required.

There's no denying Eastern are not renowned for sticking around when any competition shows up, however many have forecast their demise over the years yet somehow they keep soldiering on.

Yeah that’s because the owner keeps having to put his hands in his wallet to keep the airline afloat. Any other normal business would have gone years ago. It ranks as a basket case airline.