PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OpSec issues from Ukraine War
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2022, 23:23
tartare

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
The problem is not FR24. As has been pointed out, sometimes the aircraft want to be seen, and sometimes they don't.

The problem is with the many "enthusiast" groups sharing and broadcasting additional information.

Ie " just seen 3 typhoons leave xyz, " or " i see the b52s are starting up". I am sure they would post up the pilots name and address if they thought it would garner a few extra FB likes.

If you don't understand that every little additional snippet "could" be useful to someone somewhere, then you need to have a rethink.
Oh come on, are you serious?!
It's 2022 - not 1942 - information of all sorts is incredibly widely available.
That horse hasn't just bolted and in the next paddock - it's on another racetrack entirely!
If Air Forces truly want to preserve iron clad OPSEC these days, they stage and launch well away from prying eyes, or gas up and divert in flight to the real target and/or they fight at night.
And we find out about it later.... multiple examples in the past, and I'm sure they're happening even as we speak.
They wouldn't be so dopey as to put themselves in a situation where being visually observed or exposed by sharing of online data would compromise an operation.
Lyneham Lad and others have done nothing wrong.
Unless of course you're the VVS, in which case you probably don't give a rats... BearNet broadcasting in the clear on shortwave for all and sundry to listen to.

Last edited by tartare; 18th Mar 2022 at 23:39.