PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Loses Engine Veers Off Runway
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2022, 10:25
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
A pilot must be very cautious with asymmetric reverse...
To add some spice to this discussion I looked up the "SINGLE ENGINE APPROACH, LANDING AND GO-AROUND" checklist (capitalisation as per POH) in the Pilot's Operating Handbook of a Dornier 228-100 from 15 November 1983. The aircraft involved in this accident is not a "-100" variant so possibly there will be some differences.

It says on page 3-26-3:
LANDING
Use normal landing procedures.
After touchdown, retard the POWER lever of the running engine progressively between FI and REVERSE to avoid excessive thrust or reverse drag on this engine. Consider longer landing distance and landing roll.

CAUTION
Before retarding the POWER lever into REVERSE, be sure to have the nose wheel on the ground.

Use the brakes for deceleration and the NWS for directional control.
Myself I have not flown the Do228 but briefly the Sa228 (Metro). It has the same engines and the operating procedures are similar. Using reverse thrust in case of a single engine landing was not forbidden or discouraged on this type either.

Edit: One general consideration for this kind of emergency landing. In the event of a single engine landing it will be very difficult to find the zero-thrust setting on the remaining engine. If that exists at all (unless the engine is shut down). So there will always be some thrust remaining and thus an asymmetry that needs to be balanced with steering and differential braking. No what's better: Having that remaing thrust aid the braking action or work against the brakes? There can be only one answer.

Last edited by what next; 10th Mar 2022 at 11:01. Reason: Added a general thought