PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C205 catastrophic engine failure
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2022, 19:56
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by EXDAC
...The video pilot was very fortunate to be in range of a long runway. I doubt he would have survived an of airport landing.
I think this quite unreasonable.

So far we've seen a pilot who has completed a successful landing into his chosen field after catastrophic engine failure, he's had the presence of mind to communicate well and think of things outside his immediate concerns, and no doubt he's also been examined on FL's into different places during his initial and subsequent tests.

There are many factors involved in the success or otherwise of a FL, especially when the available terrain for landing is variable, but I couldn't question this pilot's competency or presence of mind as a factor - in my view, there's nothing in what we've seen here that could lead to a conclusion that he wouldn't do a good job elsewhere.

One needs to bear in mind that this is an example of just one actual - successful - FL this pilot has concluded in specific circumstances. While it's fine to review and discuss - indeed it's good to use such examples to learn from - criticism such as suggesting he wouldn't survive an 'of [sic] airport landing' is a leap so far that, maybe, it says more about the deliverer than the recipient?

FP.