PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dounreay
Thread: Dounreay
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2022, 23:12
SpeedFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dounreay

I'm looking for the information and kind of confirmation about the former RAF base at Dounreay. There is quite decent amount of information provided on the net however I would like to ask about more details of it, especially looking from the operational way of thinking.

I will refer to Dounreay as a 'base' in my post(pointing it just to make it clear).

I know the base was originally prepared for the RAF but due to end of the war, the base was transferred to the Royal Navy before being taken by UKAEA in 1955. One runway was kept operational until the 1990s for transport to/from the site.

I spoke with someone recently and during the conversation the person said these words: "Northern Scotland former RAF base that turned over to marines and coast guard for North Sea rescues. Mostly operated by a helicopters in the 90's but able to accomodate aircraft as well "

Heard that statement and I'm not sure what the person referred and just curious what base he thought about... I suspect it was Dounreay as most of his description matches with the place. I'm open to possibility of the place he referred to being some other location but I think I'm on the right path with my thoughts. At this point I would like to ask about your opinion on it and do a kind of-cross check.

I will left a few questions:
1. Were there helicopters operating out of Dounreay in the 90's?
2. Was the base ever used for the North Sea rescues?
3. Beside aforementioned base, are you aware of any other base/location matching aforementioned criteria and consistent with the mentioned and bolded quote?