PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine and associated airspace
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2022, 03:34
triplosete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ex-EGLL
Well, AFL111 made it through as you said but AFL157 (PUJ - SV0) and AFL159 (CUN-SVO) both seem to have taken a somewhat circuitous along the US Canadian border before turning to a more northerly heading when east of Canadian Domestic Airspace
All of these three flights you mentioned will follow the same route from VESMI (a waypoint within Gander-CZQX). I can't post any image yet because I'm new to PPRuNe, but you can see the route they're following here: imgur.com/zgjUphy.png

That means they are flying over Canadian, Danish (Greenland), and Norwegian airspace, entering Russia in the Murmansk region that borders Norway. In the Canadian NOTAM, there was a phone number for the affected aircraft to request an exemption, which I assumed they did successfully, since they all are one-way repatriation flights. From the Danish NOTAM, they seemed to have accepted waiver requests as well till 2300Z (they no longer are). I couldn't find any NOTAMs referring to the airspace ban in Norwegian airspace, i.e. ENOB and ENOR, which are the FIRs they're flying through. Although Norway has said they're banning Russian flights, likely because they are not in the EU, they haven't issued immediate NOTAMs in this regard.
Originally Posted by brak
cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-27-22/h_1889b357ab1275bf9247079bf0d6f4e2
The 1641Z NOTAM did state that they were accommodating exemption requests for the affected aircraft. I thought that was the case here.AFFECTED AIRCRAFT WISHING TO OBTAIN AN AUTHORIZATION OR CLEARANCE
INTO THE ABOVE-MENTIONED AIRSPACE MAY APPLY TO THE MINISTRY OF
TRANSPORT AT 1-877-992-6853 OR 1-613-992-6853. 27 FEB 16:41 2022 UNTIL 25 MAY
16:00 2022 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 27 FEB 16:41 2022