PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Of Ukraine, Russia and QF9
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2022, 21:23
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
That's all it is. A threat. No leader is going to launch a nuclear weapon, of any description, these days because they know full well that doing so is to invite a nuclear attack on their own country.

Putin might be egotistical and may have overestimated the ease with which this little skirmish would play out, but he is not stupid. He knows full well the global condemnation that would befall Russia should he launch such an attack, and it wouldn't just be words this time, but likely complete isolation of Russia as a country. But on the opposite side of the coin, were the Ukraine to launch one (if they had any...), I think they would be forgiven for doing so, given they didn't start this kerfuffle.
I'm not so sure about Putin - he's showing serious signs of being mentally unstable. It's pretty questionable that a sane person would have launched the invasion, and his threats leading up to it and especially after the invasion was launched really bring his sanity into question.
No telling what someone in his apparent mental state might do as this turns into an unmitigated disaster for both him and Russia. I just hope and pray that if Vlad does elect to play the nuke card, cooler minds will immediately remove him from power.