PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35C Accident - USS Carl Vinson
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2022, 21:52
SpazSinbad

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CAEBr
The account initially says that there were aircraft waiting to land at the time of the incident, but later notes they all landed on Lincoln and refuelled. That must have been a fairly early call as the Vinson's crew would be aware of the sort of time needed to change all the cables and clean up. That being the case, would it not have been better to take a bit longer to do the job and all the checks rather than an F1 pitstop type approach. Also what about using some time to debrief the DLO and his colleagues to take any learning from the incident - eg early wave off of similar approach before it all goes bad ?
I don't believe there is enough public information to know why events after happened as described. I would like to know what is: "...an F1 pitstop type approach..." and where it was? I'll assume DLO means 'Deck Landing Officer' which you really mean to be LSO Landing Signals Officer. Earlier it was explained that the 'controlling LSO' may have been under training with his/her experienced LSO monitoring with access to devices to also monitor the approach. IF one thinks the W flashing on the ILARTS video happens BEFORE the WAVE OFF radio call by the controlling LSO then IF THAT is the case it is likely the supervisor LSO hit the WAVE OFF button to cause RED LIGHTS to flash on the IFLOLS Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (it is not really Fresnel Lens now but that is how it is named from previous original FLOLS). There are advisory and mandatory LSO calls to the approaching pilot. WAVE OFF is MANDATORY and must be obeyed instantly. Not having been a burner pilot I did not catch the BURNER BURNER call by the LSO after the WAVE OFF so I'll guess this is also mandatory. Yes the LSO crowd are a critical bunch not only of pilots but themselves so they will have watched the videos and debriefed to the nth degree. They will want to hear the pilot side of the story also. LSOs are easy to make fun of however they have saved many a pilot/aircraft in dire situations by having the experience and pilot trust to obey their calls or advice. In days of yore the RN LSOs used the term 'on the roger' to indicate during the approach sometimes and during pilot debriefs that the aircraft is on glideslope on speed & lined up correctly. LSO Debrief HMS Eagle 'On The Roger' 1968

And to think early jets Deck Landed on Axial Deck Carriers under control of the LSO armed with PADDLES.

LSO Paddles Banshee FCLP 1948

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 16th Feb 2022 at 22:01. Reason: xtra vid