PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an Airbus with 140hrs
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2022, 11:51
Retired DC9 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I agree with selecting the AT OFF, because you have an engine issue. You would have helped the captain a lot more if you would have kept the AP on, and flown in HDG/FLC or whatever team B uses. Had a flameout at FL430 in the descend, my colleague immediately disconnected everything. I looked at the situation, looked like a flameout without damage, we were descending on an RNAV arrival. I just re-engaged the AP, because there was no need to add extra workload at that point. Currently flying the A320, and land without AP/FD/AT 90% of the time. When the $#!t hits the fan, keep the automation on, as long as the problem is not related to that part of the automation.
Well I was maneuvering around some nasty looking cells, as we descended, so I figured it was easier to hand fly, keep up some speed for turbulence. The bad engine was surging, so I wanted my feet on the rudders with the thrust changes; never dialed in any rudder trim. We were well out over the water, in the "Bermuda Triangle" so no crossing restrictions to meet.

I would later fly the 319/320/321 for quite a few years as Captain. Often fly it with AP/FD off, but the A/T is pretty useful ! Many approaches I did , required "A/P off, F/Ds off, Speed Push", then hand fly. Such as Expressway Visual, LGA or Quiet Bridge into LAX from the North. Later a slam-dunk..

Last edited by Retired DC9 driver; 15th Feb 2022 at 12:07. Reason: added text