PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alleged UFO or UAP, 1990, Calvine, Scotland
Old 10th Feb 2022, 11:34
Recc

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Illsley
3. With regard to, "flying around on a Saturday evening in daylight at low level in central Scotland. Surely more likely places to go and play. It's almost like they wanted to draw attention to themselves," we do only have one alleged witness (there were 2 men walking there apparently, but only 1 is named in the file, only 1 sent the photos in, and only 1 was interviewed), so despite the general area being a popular place for hiking (which in places it is), it's basically in the 1,748 sq mi Cairngorms national park, it's extremely rural, very isolated, and has a lowest-low population density, so, to me at least, the lack of any other sightings isn't that unreasonable. One can only speculate, but if it was secret tech, a temporary mechanical, propulsion, communication, or navigational issue that forced the aircraft down to low level for a few minutes wouldn't seem unreasonable.
I live fairly close by and spend a lot of time in the hills around there. Some of the most popular hills in Scotland are in the area just N of Pitlochry/ Calvine, and at that time of year, on a Saturday evening the area is packed with tourists and hillwalkers, even that late in the evening. There are one or two genuinely remote and unfrequented areas of the Scottish highlands, but the Cairngorms NP / A9 belt are most definitely not in this category. The idea that an event like that could have just a single witness seems highly improbable/ incredible to me. Couple that with the fact that 1. the photographer has remained anonymous 2. they contacted a tabloid newspaper (presumably with the intention of selling the photos) and 3.the newspaper chose not to publish, seem to point in one direction only.