PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compare Robin R1180T Aiglon and the Piper Cherokee PA-28-180
Old 4th Feb 2022, 18:00
paulmadden707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your comments orthopod.

If anyone with Robin Aiglon experience would care to read the following about the Cherokee 180 and make a comparison, this would be useful to me.
It is an extract from an owners comment about the characteristics of the earlier 30-foot-wingspan Cherokee 180 (same wingspan and wing area as the Aiglon) during the approach and landing phase - with which I agree. The reference is from the following:

https://www.avweb.com/features/piper...-cherokee-180/

"The Hershey-bar wing has certain advantages and disadvantages. It feels solid in the air—much less kite-like than the Cessnas I was flying before—and it rides turbulence very nicely. In rough air it feels like a much larger airplane than it is. On the downside, it can be a bit of a groundlover when heavily loaded at high density altitude days, so I am planning on adding vortex generators.

At high altitude it doesn’t climb as quickly as I would expect given the power and weight. Hershey-bar Cherokees are known for their prodigious descent rate and the 180 is no exception. I actually like this quality as it makes doing a tight circuit with an approach at nearly any speed you like very easy. It’s easy to slip off any excess airspeed on final (being able to slip with full flaps is a nice change coming from flying 172s). Float is non-existent with the Cherokee. Keep in mind that if a Hershey-bar airplane floats at all you are coming in way too fast. When I observe others landing Cherokees, there seems to be a tendency to fly the approach too fast (probably out of fear of the sink rate). Fly a nice approach speed and the Cherokee will reward you with a precise, short landing every time. My exit on the runway I usually land on is 1800 feet from the threshold, and light braking is all that’s required to make the turn. Arrivals can be firm if the flare isn’t timed right and holding a touch of power right to touchdown can do a lot to smooth things out. A touch of power (sometimes a blast of power if sink rate on final is high) can really help with stabilator authority, which is sorely lacking at low speeds on these early birds".

Last edited by paulmadden707; 5th Feb 2022 at 13:38.