PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast City Airport-3
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2022, 12:00
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Alteagod
I think the BACF was only every a short term plan until Summer 22. At least they seem to be keeping the LCY. I woukd say thats some cash cow for them as for the rest, selling with no C class on other routes probably big part of decision to stop routes.
It's actually a moot point whether BHD-LCY is a "cash cow", or even profitable/worthwhile. I've been a user of the route for many years, WHEN it has been offered, back to the original Flybe (who started off with a 146 jet, but then knocked back to their smallest aircraft, a Dash-8-300). After they had given up for a while Scot Airways had a shot, with an even smaller Dornier 328. That didn't work out in the end either. BACF long ignored it until quite recent times. I really do hope they manage to make a go of it, but the route does have a poor history.

I understand the reason behind the reduced in-flight service on the other BACF routes from BHD is the minimal flight time (especially to Glasgow, it's just 90 nm) meaning what they actually gave a shot to at first proved unworkable. Plus premium class on non-London domestic services has long had little or no uptake. LCY is a particular problem compared to Heathrow because there is no space or ability to have a lounge at LCY for the high end regulars, as was very apparent with the jury-rig they had to do in the departure gate for the premium New York service from there, so to be competitive with Heathrow BACF feel they have to do it on the aircraft, where in all classes it is better than BA Mainline do.