PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2022, 01:34
Flyer517

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Avoid anywhere where you have to pay up front. Interview the flight instructor and if you're not happy, don't spend your money there - it's a lot, after all! If you're on the northside, I'd strongly recommend the ~1 hour drive to Central Coast Aero Club - uncrowded airspace, good fleet, experienced instructors.
I would strongly agree with the first part of this. Avoid paying up front like the plague. So many stories over the years of people losing their money as schools go bust. PAYG might end up marginally more expensive, but that's preferable to losing a big wad of cash.

But I would respectfully disagree with the last part. Learning at a busy capital city airport like Bankstown sets you up well to handle busy / complex airspace and procedures for the future. If you're planning to travel around the country you will inevitably come across these scenarios and having spent all your training time in that environment will make you a lot more comfortable. I fully appreciate the points Magnum has made but from my own experience, think Bankstown would be a better bet. All a matter of opinion though.

Best of luck though. Learning to fly is a fantastic experience.