PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2022, 02:25
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing the Aussie flag to include the Aboriginal flag at the Canton would say to Torres Strait islander people that one indigenous heritage is considered more important than the other. It would say to 98% of Aussies that one group of people is a little more Australian than the rest. See how this goes? There is no easy solution to that issue.

Someone who has ancestors stretching back 30,000 years in this county is no more an Aussie than someone like me who’s ancestry dates back to the early 1800s, or someone who became an Aussie four days ago on Australia Day. We are all Aussies and on THAT we should be all equally proud.

I’m OK with uniting behind a symbol that truly WOULD unite us. IE a flag that would see us retire the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags also. One flag to represent the entire nation, not continue to seek to divide us into our different ‘tribes’. However I don’t think those advocating for a change to the current flag would be able to achieve that. So until that time I’d prefer to stick with what we have given that for the overwhelming majority of us, that’s the flag that has represented us for all of our lives.