PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liz Truss.
Thread: Liz Truss.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2022, 16:57
SLXOwft

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
When I first saw the story I was wondering if the AUKUS agreement had a clause allowing for the transportation of undesirables from the UK to Christmas Island via Oz but then realized it was a return trip.

The Germans replaced 2 340s with 3 350s to prevent VIP delays. Mind you the 321 has a medevac role.

Even given my contempt for the current shower I am with those who think a country as rich as the UK should have a dedicated state owned VIP transport fleet. My understanding is that Truss, her entourage and security detail would have been spread over multiple flights due to seat shortage. Not surprising due to the low number of flights driven by the strict entry requirements.
<rant>
Given the focus on the cost and not the benefit we have seen sensible use of premium transport largely driven out especially in the public sector. While it is my opinion (unlike some on this forum) that governments are not doing enough to drive down CO2 emissions, its not those travelling for work who are the issue. It's the tourists, especially short haul, who are making the unnecessary trips that they have been led to believe is their right. (Prepares to receive incoming fire.) However, there is a need to make sea and rail transport competitive while 'cleaner' aircraft propulsion systems are developed.

I would be interested in seeing the fuel burn and CO2 emissions of the the 321 v Voyager for the trip - e.g. a comparison of the extra burn due to fuel carried v the burn due to 2 stops etc.

Mind you if Blair & Brown hadn't specified the A330 MRTT Lite, Voyager would have had UARRSI and a boom like la Truss's interlocutors' KC-30s and no need to stop. (excuse for military aviation picture)

Courtesy Australian DoD

No doubt if she had flown on QF (apparently QF to Darwin would have obviated any stops , no matter the A380's appetite for fuel), as suggested in some quarters, there would have been outrage over paying UK tax payers money to a 'foreign airline' ignoring the fact that IAG is a Spanish domiciled company c.10% owned by QR.

</rant>

Last edited by SLXOwft; 28th Jan 2022 at 18:02. Reason: missing r