PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2022, 23:31
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Cravenmorehead
True tail wheel et al, the current flag is the one you have posted. This does not mean we should not investigate a change from an outdated flag one which has represented a time when the indigenous people were treated badly by our forbearers. People associate Qantas with Australia and by putting the Torres Strait and First Nations flag on the aircraft it will make them familiar with the symbol and what it means to them and me a white second generation Australian who is proud of our indigenous people.
Just a thought.
There's really two issues at play in this thread.

One, should airlines paint the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags on aircraft alongside the current National flag, as they were recognised as "Flags of Australia" under the Flags Act by Bill Hayden in 1995? Just like multiple carriers have the EU flag painted alongside their national flag, or the Caribbean Community flag, or other international visible displays of Australia (like the AO tennis) display the Aboriginal and TSI flags alongside the national flag? Or remove all flags from aircraft like Air NZ?

Two, should the current Australian national flag be changed? Really that's a full on debate well beyond the scope of this thread, but I found this video interesting. Whilst aesthetically the new flag design in the video wouldn't be my first choice the creator of the video has some very good points and a thorough knowledge of the symbology and meaning of his design:

One could say a new national flag would negate the desire to display the additional flags on aircraft or at events or businesses.

Last edited by dr dre; 27th Jan 2022 at 23:53.