PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Airborne Radar
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 15:00
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Interested in your comment about the cavity magnetron and the French, who do you think provided it? Not in accordance with the facts as I know them.
" as I know them " is probably the answer As I said before , history is always written by those who win wars . What the French history books say , is that a Maurice Ponte was busy with early Radar technology since early 1930 , and had installed in 1935 a functioning prototype working on the Normandie ( the large passenger ship crossing the Atlantic between le Havre and New York) to detect icebergs and other ships at night and fog , and built by CSF ( now Thales). In 1940 when Germany invaded France, he fled to London in May 1940 with his centimeter wavelength magnetron prototype and gave it to the allied in order not to fall in the hands of the Germans, The US and the UK used it among other to reduce considerably the size of their antennas and systems and could catch up with the Germans. It was the basis of the mass produced SCR-584 radars built by the US and available in 1944 that helped end the war..