PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2022, 21:03
longer ron

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes thankfully I was long gone from Halton by that time.
One little coincidence from Halton was that I later (after leaving Halton) ended up in front of a Wingco Eng (MT related) and the fact that I had taken his son up for AEG at Halton helped enormously
One little bit of fun that came out of my GS flying days was when I joined the gliding club at Moffat Field,Gwelo whilst working on Hawks in Zimbabwe in the 1980's,a couple of instructors looked at my Log Book and were LOL'ing at my 330 Lchs for a grand total of 25 Hrs TT
They were also puzzled by the fact I had 'P2' grade glider pilot stuck in the back of my log book (thinking of course that all pupils are P2),I tried to explain it was a throwback to an old 1950's RAF Rank Structure and was actually a pax rating (Later replaced by G1) but I am not sure they ever believed me .
The other funny thing was that I had never done any thermalling,I just could not seem to form a mental picture of what to do - eventually it 'clicked' and did quite a bit of exciting flying out there inc a thermal from 600' AGL up to 11,500' AGL