PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 3.1
Thread: Virgin 3.1
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2022, 03:04
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective
Well, a brand is a brand and brand awareness is a pretty generic thing.

Look, you're probably right that it's been so long now, many people weren't alive when Ansett was still going. There is likely some value in the brand but it would have to be very cleverly handled in the transition.

However, like I said also, don't want to become one of those places where we're constantly trying to re-invent things from the past, which became part of the past for a reason.

I take your point about the agenda of the owners. My personal opinion is that Ansett was doomed the day Murdoch and Abeles took it over from substantial control (managerially if not shareholder wise) from Reg Ansett.

One was interested in using it as leverage for expansion into Europe and to patronise his transport empire and the other was only really ever interested in its media assets and associated businesses. When the chips were down years later, any of those assets which could have been divested to get the airline through bad times were gone and likely with nothing in the pockets of Ansett as a result of the divestment. Just look what happened to the DC-9s.
As an Ex Ansett pilot.. genuine question, what happened to the DC 9s? They were before my time.