PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 3.1
Thread: Virgin 3.1
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2022, 00:59
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
What would be the point in throwing away 23 years of brand building just to resurrect something that went bust 20 years ago?Seriously…If anyone remembered Ansett. It would be the bitter taste of being dudded for their FF points.
If that were true, Ansett Aviation Training would have changed their name.

My experience is that there's quite a nostalgia for Ansett, although I don't want us to get into this American thing of trying to re-create old, defunct airlines a dozen times over....... how many Pan Am's have we seen now and a year or two ago there was another one rumoured to be in the works.

As for 'brand-building', you mean taking a name from an already well known organisation, putting the word 'Australia' on the end of it, practically copying the logo and typeface of another company then paying exorbitant license fees to use that logo everywhere?? VA apparently can't even provide a coffee cup with the logo on it for their staff without having to pay a royalty fee for each individual item it is applied to, i.e. 100 cups, 100 fees.

Bain would save millions if they changed the name, certainly in license fees anyway. Given their mantra is not wasting money on anything they don't have to, it's only a matter of time before that 'line item' comes before a bean-counter then it'll be interesting to see if the first part of the name survives. At least they could buy the Ansett name only once and the old AN 'starmark' logo still looks pretty smart today, as does the typeface. Another iconic Landor design.