PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just turned 40, any point…!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2022, 17:57
pug

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightstop
No, it’s a fact. I saw them all come back into the Crew Room from their failed attempts at B737 Base Training, carried out by very well respected Base Training Captains. I felt so sad for them, lots of effort and money spent for nothing. At least one candidate was ex Cabin Crew for the same airline, made no difference. If you don’t make the grade at the final “hands-on” assessment, you’re out. That’s the way it is, and how it should be.
That’s fair enough, but my experience vastly differs from yours. I can think of one such event, but they were all experienced NTR new joiners having flown turbo props / other jet types and the like for years previous. I can also think of a disproportionate number having failed but were way below the supposed 30 age point cutoff.

Some operators might prefer the younger prospects, the ones with no commitments who they can base somewhere in the backend of nowhere. Others may prefer people who come from more experienced backgrounds from other careers, people who they can sit next to on a long flight and have something interesting to chat about - but are also capable of managing the flight.

It goes without saying that thorough research is needed for whoever is willing to take the risk and stump up the cash.

Last edited by pug; 16th Jan 2022 at 18:34.