PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just turned 40, any point…!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2022, 16:21
pug

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightstop
It’a a sad but true fact that the over 40’s struggle with their first big jet type rating training. Another fact, all 12 over 35’s failed their Base training from light aircraft onto the B737 with a certain low cost carrier some years ago. Nowadays, most airlines won’t take you on, they stick with the youngsters as mentioned above.
Is it a fact or an anecdote? I know of three major U.K. operators who have taken a large amount of more mature cadets and put them through their first ‘big jet’ type ratings without issue. Not sure I’ve ever seen a study of type rating success based on age brackets, has this been done?

Many people can’t afford the heavy training outlay without having a reasonably paid first career from which to save. They also tend to bring with them well developed experience in working with others and handling the non-‘stick and rudder’ facets of the modern airline pilot role that younger candidates don’t often possess.

If we were talking about someone in their mid 40’s, I’d be inclined to agree that you must think very carefully before investing huge sums - over 50 don’t bother - but OP already has completed the training and is wondering whether it’s worth revalidating ratings. In this case if the funds and time are there, then maybe so, if all the holes line up as much as practicable.

Were I in OP’s situation, I’d be saving for an FI rating, and doing that on the side of another career. That could open up networks with other operators not otherwise heard about, but also is in itself is a rewarding side gig.