PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai near disaster..?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2022, 08:52
The AvgasDinosaur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mahogany bob
COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS

I don’t know that this was a factor in this incident but I have always thought poor communications has the potential to cause major accidents !

How often have you been uncertain of clearances given by ATC ?

Poor English ,regional accents, jargon,speed talking,background noise,receiver problems and general casualness being a possible contributor!

At a busy airport remembering and reading back a clearance can be a embarrassment - who wants to go to the sin bin!

If you are flying regularly in a certain environment you become acclimatised to the words and accents/ comms is less of a problem but after a long layoff ie now -and perhaps operating in a strange country the brain does not react as quickly and mistakes can easily be made- everything is more difficult - see currency thread.

Crew co-ordination obviously helps - but in a situation where perhaps you have a senior captain and a new under confident co-pilot- would the co-pilot be bold enough to question a captain’s action in case it makes him look slow/ foolish!

i.e if ATC is noisy /busy and a captain turns confidently onto the runway and piles on the power would a young co- pilot say ‘hang on’ ?

I have always thought that a useful ( cheap) aid would be a training tape with transcripts of ATC from around the world which one could listen to and mug up on before going to a new environment in order to get used to accents etc.

Food for thought??
At home base, I doubt the crew would be seriously unfamiliar with accents and phrasing ?