PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai near disaster..?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2022, 14:47
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiefttp
I fly primarily at night. When given instructions to cross an active runway, while another aircraft is lined up and holding for me, I often do a triple check to insure that aircraft is indeed holding, and not commencing it’s takeoff roll. With all the technology we have today, I always wondered why they cant develop a system, perhaps tied to the nose wheel lights, to flash or signal that an aircraft is accelerating.. It’s very difficult to sense an aircraft is accelerating, in darkness, head on, until it too late. Food for thought. I understand this wasn’t the case here, but we all know taxing around an airport can be one of the most dangerous times of a flight.
What needs to change is that it should become standard procedure that aircraft only turn on thd landing lights once starting T/O role, as opposed to when entering the runway. This is the best indication for pilots crossing.
Originally Posted by 3Greens
They can be useful yes, but not a great deal of use in the glaring Middle East sunlight to be honest in the middle of the day
I've never had a problem deciding whether the stop bar lights are on or off, so why would RWSLs be any more difficult?