PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Psychometric testing
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2022, 21:18
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Have another read of my words - that you actually quoted - before weighing in: I cited an RTO as something we do need to do quickly
Oh I read your words, but amusingly I don't think you've quite understood mine. Or even your own. Yes, you did mention RTO in your list of 'do quickly', but my point wasn't that you had omitted RTO, but that your foundation for its inclusion was wrong. You wrote;

These are all physical actions, involving hand-eye coordination

This is why psychometric testing has a reading comprehension component.

My inclusion of the RTO is to demonstrate, using your own example for effect, that your foundation isn't correct. V1 isn't called "hand eye coordination speed", its called decision speed. You have to recognize, analyze and decide in an extremely time compressed environment. There is no 'sitting on your hands', dodar or any other such nonsense.. It has nothing to do with how well you can pat your head whilst rubbing your stomach. The aircraft has presented you with a problem. You have 3 seconds to make the right decision, the consequences of which could be significant. Would you like me to list examples of what happens when the wrong decision is made? Where do you think those pilots went wrong? Hand eye coordination not good enough I suppose?

As for your mate not being able to do the three times table........... huh ?
Do.. .do you need me to explain the example more simply? It is an example of a situation where you may be required to do simple math quickly, under time pressure. One of dozens I could provide if necessary.

You claim that being a pilot involves no requirement to make decisions or do basic arithmetic in an environment of time pressure. You have claimed that anything that is in that environment of time pressure is a hand eye coordination task, not a cognitive task. (Side note, you also amusingly claim that the human brain slows down because it gets 'full', but I see you've decided to abandon ship on that vapid argument).

I can, and have shown that this is nonsense.

And are you telling us that you don't do DODAR or anything in emergencies; you just make a snap decision?
Again with the reading compression skills, no wonder you're so against having them tested. Where have I said that, or even implied it? Making a case that there exists circumstances where decisions are necessary under time pressure is NOT analogous to saying ALL situations require decisions under time pressure.

I think Stationair8 has given us the real reason for psychometric testing.

I'd argue you have.