PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Variable pitch prop "endorsement"?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2022, 14:32
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Managed "correctly" there will be no rpm increase when the prop is set fine before landing.
I certainly agree Exdac, just a nice relaxed engine settling into a new, lesser power setting gently! There are a few things about powerplant management and finesse which I think that inexperienced pilots may not be being taught well, depending upon the experience of the instructor on that class of aircraft. My ten years working at an engine overhaul shop, and also doing a lot of very remote flying in the north, taught me that anything you can do as a pilot to be gentle to an engine will be worth it both that day, and over the long run too. The fact that an engine will tolerate mishandling does not mean it should be mishandled! It was memorable when I was being checked out in a Bellanca Viking in the late '70's.. They're rather sleek planes, and slowing down planning is a good idea. As we entered downwind, with the engine more or less at cruise flight power settings, my check pilot said "let me show you something...." (a phrase, which since then, puts me on guard), and he just jammed in the prop control. The blades went to fine, and the engine oversped, but I agree that the plane did slow down! Memorable, and never, ever again! Colossally abusive! During testing, I sometimes to have to abuse a powerplant, and it just pains me to do it. But, I know that someone else is going to do that as a matter of course, so I best assure that it's not going to quit or explode as a part of certification testing. That's the part of testing I enjoy least!

For the powerplant change project I'm working (sorry Megan, 'can't say yet), I'm anticipating powerplant operating characteristics which may differ from the original type. As CS prop training is handled pretty casually here in Canada (for better or worse), I wanted to become familiar with other more defined powerplant training expectations. My objective will be to assure that the powerplant operating characteristics of the modified plane are within what an "average" pilot can handle. At some point, "sensitive" powerplant operation goes outside the "must not require unusual pilot skill and attention" criteria, but that's not really defined well. And, I expect that when that standard was written, basic pilot skill was different than today. I think from easy (Theilert DA-42), to difficult to the point it's not really trained at all (the standby power lever on the Caravan), knowing that I want to approve on the easy side of that band of skill demands.

I remember how I was trained over the decades, for better and for worse, and try to take only the best of that going forward. I apply that to the findings of design compliance I make too. However, I also need to allow for variation in basic pilot skill and knowledge, as newer pilots have not been trained as I was - what I think is basic knowledge may now be more advanced, and specific training appropriate.