PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do positions like Chief Pilot, HOFO, HOTAC etc exist?
Old 6th Jan 2022, 10:35
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
I was a Chief Pilot for some five years and let me tell you it is not an easy position. You find yourself to be the meat in the sandwich between the commercial aspirations of the company and the line pilot community. If you do the job properly, you have to communicate upwards on why spending money on training and other necessities must be done even though they may see such things as restrictions to their ambitions and you have to communcate downwards to explain why certain changes may be necessary. I most certainly did not do the job for power or for glory and many times I thought I needed my head examining for sticking it above the parapet.

I saw one of my main functions to be the fostering and protection of the good professional standards of my pilots and the aviation community for which I was responsible. Mostly this meant (a) providing sufficient and correct support so that the line pilots had what they needed to do the job properly, (b) sometimes it meant fighting battles on their behalf and (c) sometimes (more rarely) correcting those who strayed from the straight and narrow. Naturally, it was the latter (c) which was most often noticed and complained about, the other two functions (a) and (b) merely passed most people by.

There are many Chief Pilots who do this thankless task with integrity despite the brickbats that are thrown at them.