PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2022, 15:29
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
L Ron…lucky with the weather..normally wait for three forecast dry days before we wander over to the other side of the ireland..sometimes we wait months.
One kerry safari was virtually no wave flying as too hot and sunny!
Another I flew over from the south of France and hired a car for ten days..didn’t get airborne as it lashed down everyday and one of the guys towing the K13 hit a bank so we all chipped in a score or so towards repairing his Volvo.
I was generally one of the volunteers de Kerrying the gliders which involved a lot of drying, brushing, hovering followed by washing all of the bearings out and regreasing.
‘But the flying was great..auto towed my pheobus of Inch..slope soared with just enough height to get back to the beach and after a while I found a sweet spot where two low wave systems met…Airspace is 7,000ft and club rules are that you have to go through the beach master to contact Shannon to climb higher…quit at 12,000ft as light fading and I needed enough time to de rig. Rather dark especially with the canopy misting up so sideslipped using the DV window which continued to the beach.
But even best was flying along the seaward side of Mount Brandon (3,000ft +) with a cloud base of 1,000ft at VNE….and 500 yards from the mountain over a force 5 sea state to avoid going into a stronger lift band and cloud.
and you tell that to the youngsters…..

Inch strand ..phoebus C ..first glider to do a 300km in uk according to late owner who had a mid air at La Motte du Caire..club gliders in the background

Last edited by blind pew; 4th Jan 2022 at 15:45.