PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2022, 12:32
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Hoistop.....

An interesting perspective. It has been more than a few years since I was rushing round pulling 6G and looking at the world from interesting angles..... But I don't agree with you.

All heavy-jet (HJ) pilots get training in incipient stall recovery which is VERY different to doing the same exercise in a mil-jet or a Cessna Aerobat, so I'm a bit lost in how that gives them a good grounding for what is to come? Do HJ pilots really need exposure to spinning with incipient/full recovery actions? If your airliner gets to the point of entering an incipient spin then it's all rather too late!

OTOH Basic stalling in clean and approach configurations is valuable, that's why it is covered not only in basic training but included in every type rating course. Most modern airliners are completely without natural cues to the approach of a stall so synthetic training takes place often with stall protections inhibited. That experience is nothing like a mil-jet or the Aerobat.

As for unusual attitudes or jet-upsets.... There is a finite limit of how far you can manoeuvre a HJ away from normal flight and still bring it back to straight and level without pulling the wings off, the airframe disintegrating or simply running out of height. Those margins are explored in type rating courses, often resulting in G forces that would write-off the jet even if you subsequently made a safe landing. The skills in achieving a safe UA recovery are peculiar to big jets and today are aided by devices like the excellent 787 HUD which automatically switches to a dedicated UA display if the pilot loses control beyond certain limits.

The real training problem these days is quite simply the lack of it: Airline managers have to justify their salaries. Your manager's bonus this year will hinge on how much $$$ you have saved the company. If you made 0.5% savings on your budget over last year then you made it... you're a good manager - we'll keep you! If you didn't then we kinda' wasted your salary last year and you will soon be doing something more appropriate to your skills (or lack of them). Have you wondered why training course footprints only ever seem to get smaller? The first time I ever did an A320 course was in 1993 and the ground school was 4 weeks duration..... Today it is less than half that. The simulator footprint likewise. OK some candidates fail but they get some extra help before hopefully coming up to standard with some shred of confidence left. Training has been reduced to Demonstrate - Check - Move On - (Forget).

Mind you - The Training Manager seems to keep his job, year on year !