PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 20:55
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
We all seem to be assuming costs won't be going up at LGW? The balance sheet is a car crash with LGW being the worst affected of our major airports. BA actually do have a good history of adding brand new long haul metal at LGW, G-VIIO/P/R have been LGW based since delivery for the most part and the later B744s arrived at LGW via Cambridge. There's a lot in flux at the mo, am not really convinced Scoot will do well, and BA may move BKK to LGW but on doing so will leave a fair amount of premium traffic to Thai at LHR. Every route BA moved in the past, the African and South American long hauls lost a % of premium traffic as they had a competitor who stayed at LHR. With Thai still in market, I wonder if BKK needs to stay put? Doha is a different beast as QR's LHR ops compliment BA's LGW service, they're partners.
Bangkok is (normally) high volume and low yield. Thai is a competitor, but most of the competition came from the 6-7 ME airlines that had about 20 flights a day to both London and Bangkok. BA gave up trying to compete for higher yields on that route a long time ago, which is why it ended up on the dog of the fleet with mediocre flight times. If (big if, I agree) Scoot stick around, it may prompt BA to move it in to LGW. Using the reconfigured 777 would also be both a product upgrade and a capacity increase on their pre-Covid offering. As it is, they’ve binned BKK altogether until Winter 22.

Originally Posted by Flying Wild
With the above programme from Wizz, would there be any room left for Jet2 at LGW assuming they could get slots? The ops so far this winter seem to have generated passenger interest in the product. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get in there, but how could they do so?
There’s no chance of EZY, BA or TOM letting Jet2 in. Ever.