PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 16:35
Oldaircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Good Cat
I sort of get the point you're making, but it's not about going straight to jets or modern flight decks. I did that 22 years ago along with a lot of other cadets, and we're all able to fly because we were given the freedom to practise under the right circumstances. The problem these days is being allowed to practice. And we've all been moaning about it on here for years, which makes us partly to blame, because we should have been raising these concerns with the airlines instead of taking the easy route and letting somebody else worry about it once it's too late.
I think you’ve just hit the nail on the head. We’re not allowed to practice.

I almost feel sorry for emirates as they have a real problem ahead of them. They can’t simply allow their pilots to practice as they will expose themselves to huge risk while their 3000 odd pilots try to get back the skills they’ve lost. You can just imagine the errors going forward. Enough to make their safety and human factors departments pull their hair out trying to explain to an obtuse and obdurate management why their stats are through the roof. Almost!