PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 09:01
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA long haul at LGW post 777 retirements

Happy new year to you all- I hope the year ahead will be a positive one for all at LGW as it continues to recover

Got a question RE. BA long haul at LGW. To my knowledge, BA haven't publicly decided what will eventually replace the LGW-based 772s. These have of course recently been refurbished and are expected to stay on for quite some time yet. However, there will come a point where these will need replacing (whether with a new order or LHR hand-me-downs is anyone's guess at the moment). What does everyone think? Perhaps BA will standardise the LHR fleet with a mix of 787-9/10 and Airbus A350-1000, A380, reconfigure the 777Ws to match the LGW-spec and send them to Gatwick as more 787s/A350s are delivered? Or could we see a new order of entirely A350-900s or 787-10s destined for LGW? My guess is BA would prefer to standardise their LGW long haul ops with just one aircraft (just as currently with the 772s). Will be interesting to see what they decide, now that they've committed to staying (and hopefully growing!) at LGW.