PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 02:28
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyHudd
I cannot honestly believe that this was a deliberate act of one person, nor technical sabotage, and yet fail to see how any professional crew could permit this to happen, and then continue the flight. Surely ATC must also have had this departure flagged and analysed? They too must have reported the incident. Perhaps a wall of silence has been constructed and enforced

I, like so many others, remain baffled.
Never underestimate the ability of humans to things up - even highly trained "professionals". Several recent commercial airline crashes fall into this category. Asiana 777 at SFO - where 3 out of 4 pilots on the flight deck failed to recognize that the airspeed was dangerously low. Pakistan A320 at Karachi - where the pilots tried to land at ~220 knots with the gear up. The previously mentioned Emirates 777 at Dubai where the crew elected to do a go-around after landing - with the engines and throttles at idle - despite having plenty of runway left to safely stop.
Those are just 3 that come quickly to mind - I'm sure there are more...
All defy logical explanation - oh sure there were other issues involved such as miss-use or misunderstanding of automatics - but no one can explain how a competent flight deck crew could allow those things to happen. But they did, and people died as a result.