PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Year Honours 2022 - Military Division
Old 1st Jan 2022, 22:16
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
NutLoose

I would agree with you if the split included the many Junior Officers, but it doesn’t.

This is what RAF Music posted about the SAC’s achievement:

Senior Aircraftwoman Shona Brownlee has been awarded an MBE for demonstrating incredible strength to surmount mental and physical challenge and for her support to wounded, injured and sick Service personnel. In 2012 during phase one training, Shona suffered a serious lower limb injury resulting in a below the knee amputation. She became involved with the Armed Forces Para Snowsport Team (AFPST) through the Government's Battle Back Programme. Demonstrating unwavering mental perseverance and physical robustness, she quickly progressed from novice to international competition and in 2019 became the number one ranked female mono-skier in Great Britain. She is now ranked ninth in the world. In 2019, her participation with the AFPST solo and team events raised just under £50,000 to support wounded, injured and sick, serving and ex-military personnel.

Now if you’re telling me that the main bulk of the RAF are hitting this level of achievement then I would wholeheartedly agree that the gongs are being dished out to the wrong people. But I think not. MSMs through to Knighthoods are given for exceptional, meritorious and lengthy service - if you want to win one then you have to put the time and effort in, plus attract enough attention of what you are doing to make that difference.