PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates...is this for real!!???
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2022, 19:56
RodH

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Hand flying

The thought about automation being used too much is NOT a new idea.
Back in 1965 in Australia I was an F/O on the all new B727-100 and flew with some very experienced " old salts " some of whom started flying in the late 30's and some WW2 pilots.
One old fella used to make me hand fly the B727 all the way from take off to top of climb and from top of descent right until leaving the runway after landing.
He stated that if I did not keep up my hand flying skills I would soon lose them because of all of this new " automation ". His logic still applies to using Flight Directors as well as auto pilot.
Oh How right he was and I mostly followed his method even when I became a Capt. and also made my trainees do it quite often. I reckon it really kept my skills and scans honed!!!
It did really bother me to see pilots bunging the Auto Pilot in just after gear retraction and only taking it out on short final. Their hand flying skills were almost non existent !!!
This EK incident and so many others like it points to the need to do a lot more hands on flying.
It's as simple as pushing the auto pilot disconnect button and disconnecting the flight director as well and having a go.
It's very obvious that lot's more need to try it.