PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2021, 14:51
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Nahhh

CFI brought up on glass and from the later generation who haven't had the try it yourself spirit.
My first spin in glass was in the Pyrenees whilst under the wing of Spreckly with the world and his dog saying you don't spin a first generation 30 year old glider..My phoebus C..Spreckly insisted you should spin everything you fly within reason..so after a couple of days going through how to get out blindfolded I climbed up to 4 grand above the airfield and tried it several times until I got the hang of a smooth recovery. It wasn't as viscious as my later pilatus B4 which went through the vertical during recovery but still exciting.
I wouldn't spin a star ship especially the big Nimbus 2 seater which had a propensity to shedding bits of its wing but everything else and why Not?
The biggest load is in the recovery and generally I didn't get over 2.5g. I've had a lot more flying in the alps, one time I was knocked semi conscious with the airbrakes opening and the undercarriage lowering during a transit between mountains.
PS a CofA air test should cover all of the flight envelope.

Last edited by blind pew; 26th Dec 2021 at 14:58. Reason: PS