PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 09:13
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA and LGW-BKK

Originally Posted by Vokes55
Athens and to a lesser extent Milan (ex-LTN but Wizzair base and previously applied for slots MXP-LGW) are just BA dumping low cost capacity into Wizzair markets. I’d imagine they’ll survive as long as Wizzair keeps the routes open.

I’d be interested to see if BA start LGW-BKK. They’ve just canned LHR-BKK for Summer 22. Now Scoot have entered the market it would be not unlike BA to try to squeeze out low cost competition. They’d also be able to use the moving of low yielding O&D long haul routes as pawns in their fees dispute with Heathrow.
So am I. Perhaps the decision to move BKK from LHR to LGW will largely depend on how successful Scoot is on the same route that they've just launched. LHR-BKK is pretty well covered with Eva and Thai year-round vs BA's now seasonal service. I reckon we will find out more once Scoot reinstate LGW again for the summer season and whether or not the route is working well for them, in which case BA may well be tempted to enter LGW with their own service to BKK.